Research Centre re-opening 16 June 2020
State Records’ Research Centre re-opened on 16 June 2020 by appointment only.
- We are open Tuesday to Thursday for 2 sessions each day.
- Session times are 9:30am to 11:30am and 12:30pm to 2:30pm.
- Researcher numbers will be capped at 7 people per session.
From 14 July session times will be extended to 9:30am to 12:30pm and 1:30pm to 4:30pm. Researcher numbers will continue to be capped at 7 people per session to maintain social distancing measures in our reading room.
A staged approach to further appointments and services is being planned and changes will be made dependent on government advice.
- How do I book an appointment?
Bookings will only be taken by phone for staff to gather your contact information and assist with pre-ordering records. To make a booking call 08 8343 6800 from 9:30am to 4:30pm weekdays.
- How do I pre-order records?
When you book an appointment notify our staff which records you would like to view and they will order these on your behalf. Records are not able to be ordered through our catalogue ArchivesSearch.
Some records are stored at our secondary repository and are subject to increased retrieval times. Staff will advise where this is the case and arrange an appropriate booking time.
- What If I don’t know the specific records I need to view?
When you call to book and pre-order, staff will offer guidance about relevant series, to help you identify records of interest.
- How many records can I pre-order?
A maximum of 10 records can be ordered for an appointment.
- Can I book into both sessions on a day?
Yes you may book into both sessions on a day from 14 July. Please note that the Research Centre and public cafe will be inaccessible between 12:30pm to 1:30pm so that cleaning can take place.
- How far in advance can I book an appointment?
Appointments can be booked up to two weeks in advance.
- Can I bring someone with me to the Research Centre?
If you intend to visit with another person, that person must also be booked in for an appointment. Visitors will not be permitted without a prior booking.
- Can I order records when I arrive for my appointment?
No. Records must be pre-ordered at least one day in advance of your visit. You will not be able to order records for same-day viewing while in the research centre.
- Will staff assistance in the research centre be available?
To ensure the wellbeing of yourself, staff and other customers, we will not be providing the same level of personal research assistance as usual.
We will assist with research queries and to interpret records while maintaining social distancing.
- Can I access the other search tools in the research centre?
No, use of the search computers, microfilm and printed reference collection is not permitted.
- Can I use the digital camera in the Research Centre?
Yes, use of the digital camera will be permitted.
However, you are encouraged to bring your own camera or phone. Staff may not be able to demonstrate how to use the camera, if this means social distancing cannot be observed.
We encourage you to bring your own USB for downloading any digital images you capture. If you do not have a USB, they can be purchased in our Research Centre using contactless card payment.
- What if I would like a high quality digital copy of a record I view at the Research Centre?
Our digitisation service is still available and we can provide you with a high quality digital copy of a record at cost.
We will ask you to identify the pages you would like copied, and we will then send you a quote.
- What health and safety measures are in place to ensure customers remain safe?
• All customers will be asked screening questions when booking appointments and entering the Research Centre.
• Customers will be asked to wash their hands with soap and water on entry to the Research Centre. We are asking customers to wash their hands rather than use sanitiser to ensure original records are not adversely affected.
• Bathrooms will be well stocked with hand soap and paper towels, and instructions on how to wash hands properly will be provided.
• All hard surfaces in the Research Centre will be thoroughly cleaned between sessions.
• All researchers will be required to sit 1.5 metres from each other, as per government guidelines on social distancing.
Contact information from your State Records user registration and your appointment booking may be used for tracing purposes after your visit, should a COVID-19 case in the Research Centre be reported.
- What if I have a cough, fever, sore throat or other cold and flu symptoms on the day of my booking?
You will not be able to enter the Research Centre with any of these symptoms.
Please phone us to reschedule your booking to a later date. We can hold your pre-ordered records for up to 4 weeks.
- Will the public café be accessible?
Yes. Water, tea and coffee will be available. Please note that the public cafe will be inaccessible between 12:30pm to 1:30pm so that cleaning can take place.
- Are lockers available?
No. Lockers will be unavailable at this time to reduce the number of touch points and prevent customers congregating.
During this period you will be permitted to bring small bags in to the Research Centre. Large bags should be locked in cars or left in a designated spot if this is not possible.
- Will pencils and note paper be available to use?
You are encouraged to bring your own pencils and note paper, however we will provide them if needed.