This course provides the participant with the knowledge and skills to allow them to be designated by their principal officer as an accredited FOI officer - provided they meet the definition of an accredited FOI officer in section 4 of the Freedom of Information Act 1991 .
Training for Accredited and Non Accredited FOI Officers is delivered in two stage by State Records, the first an online independent learning series of modules and the second a two part webinar that spans over two days (a Monday and the following Wednesday).
The Training for Accredited and Non Accredited FOI Officers course is a mandatory requirement for staff who need to be designated as an accredited FOI officer under the Freedom of Information Act 1991.
Accredited FOI officers are responsible for dealing with FOI applications and making determinations. Other staff from State Government, Local Government and Universities who need to undertake training to support their accredited FOI officer can also attend this course.
This is a comprehensive training course that is made up of four modules.
Online independent learning modules
- Module 1 - FOI Officers and the FOI Act - 45-60 mins
- Module 2.1 - Receiving FOI Applications - 45-60 mins
- Module 2.2 - Processing FOI Applications (part 1) - 60+ mins
- Module 2.3 - Processing FOI Applications (part 2) - 60+ mins
- Module 2.4 - Reviewing and Reporting - 30-45 mins
- Module 3.1 - Introduction to Exemptions - 45-60 mins
Webinar modules (conducted over two 3.5 hour webinars)
- Module 3.2 - examines the types of documents that may be exempt from disclosure and the relevant exemption clauses that might apply
- Module 4 - examines the requirements of making and drafting a written determination under the FOI Act.
* The online independent learning modules act as a prerequisite to the webinar modules. Participants will be provided a link to book their seat at a webinar once they have completed Modules 1 to 3.1. It is not possible to secure a seat in a webinar until the online modules are complete.
- February 7th and 9th, 2022
- April 4th and 6th, 2022
- June 6th and 8th, 2022
Cost: $880.00 (GST incl).
FOI training delivered by State Records is only available to State and Local Government staff, as well as staff from the three public Universities in South Australia.
Our FOI training courses are not open to the public.
Phone: 08 7322 7077