Where an agency has lost or misplaced an official record on loan they are required to explain that they have destroyed or abandoned a record without State Records or Council approval by submitting a brief to:
- Director of State Records and
- State Records Council
The brief must include:
- a description of the record
- who in the agency loaned the records and for what purpose
- steps taken to locate the record
- an outline of the processes put in place to appropriately track official records on loan.