Complaints about South Australian Government

South Australian Government agencies are required to comply with the Information Privacy Principles Instruction in the way they manage, collect, use and store personal information.

If you believe a South Australian Government agency has failed to comply with the Information Privacy Principles Instruction and has breached your privacy you should, in the first instance, contact a senior officer in that agency. 

If the agency is unable to help you, or you are dissatisfied with the response, you can lodge a complaint with the Privacy Committee of South Australia.

Complaints must be made in writing. 

Privacy Committee Complaint Management

When the complaint is received in writing, the Privacy Committee will forward it to the agency you believe has breached your privacy. 

The Privacy Committee will:

  • acknowledge receipt of your complaint in writing and provide you with updates throughout the complaint resolution process.
  • seek a response from the agency to see whether they think a breach of the Information Privacy Principles has occurred and; what action has been or might be taken to resolve the matter.
  • assess the response and, if necessary; make a recommendation to the agency to amend their practices or; to adopt other measures to resolve the complaint.

Complaints can take up to six week to be dealt with; if you have any queries regarding the progress contact the Executive Officer.  

Other relevant South Australian complaint agencies

The Privacy Committee may refer your complaint to one of the following organisations for resolution::

Complaints about South Australian Local Government or Universities

The Privacy Committee is unable to respond to complaints about Local Government or Universities. 

Direct these complaints to the local government authority or university that you believe has breached your privacy.

Complaints about Private Organisations or Commonwealth Government 

The Privacy Committee is unable to respond to complaints about Commonwealth Government agencies or private sector organisations.

Direct these complaints to the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner