Research Centre re-opening - 8 December 2020
State Records' Gepps Cross Research Centre will re-open on Tuesday 8 December 2020, on an appointment basis. Supplementary resources such as microfilm machines, search computers and our printed reference collection will be available to use but please note staff will be unable to provide assistance with the use of these resources.
To make an appointment book online via Eventbrite or phone us on (08) 8343 6800 from 9:30am to 4:30pm on weekdays.
- We are open Tuesday to Thursday for 2 sessions each day.
- Session times are 9:30am to 11:30am and 1:30pm to 3:30pm.
- Researchers can book into one appointment per day.
- Researcher numbers are capped at 7 people per session to allow for social distancing in our reading room area.
A staged approach to further appointments and services is being planned and changes will be made dependent on government advice.
Christmas closure: State Records Research Centre will be open up to and including Thursday 24 December and closed during the week commencing 28 December. We will reopen on Tuesday 5 January.
- How do I book an appointment?
Bookings can be made online via Eventbrite or bookings can be taken over the phone. Please call (08) 8343 6800 from 9:30am to 4:30pm on weekdays to make a phone booking.
- How do I pre-order records?
Records can be ordered through our online catalogue ArchivesSearch (to order records through ArchivesSearch you will need to be using Internet Explorer 11) or they can be emailed to us once an online booking is secured. Further information is available on the Eventbrite booking page. Alternatively, if you book via phone please notify staff of the records you would like to view and staff will order these on your behalf.
Some records are stored at our secondary repository and are subject to increased retrieval times. Staff will advise where this is the case and arrange an appropriate booking time.
- What If I don’t know the specific records I need to view?
Searching our catalogue ArchivesSearch and numerous topic pages on our website may provide you with the information you require. If not please contact us and our staff can assist to identify specific records. Please note that we do not conduct a research service.
- How many records can I pre-order?
A maximum of 10 records can be ordered for an appointment.
- Can I book into both sessions on a day?
No, you may only book into one session per day at this stage. A staged approach to further appointments and services is being planned and changes will be made dependent on government advice.
- How far in advance can I book an appointment?
Appointments can be booked up to two weeks in advance.
- Can I bring someone with me to the Research Centre?
If you intend to visit with another person, that person must also be booked in for an appointment. Visitors will not be permitted without a prior booking.
- Can I order records when I arrive for my appointment?
No. Records must be pre-ordered at least two days in advance of your visit. You will not be able to order records for same-day viewing while in the Research Centre.
- Will staff assistance in the Research Centre be available?
To ensure the wellbeing of yourself, staff and other customers, we will not be providing the same level of personal research assistance as usual.
- Can I access the other search tools in the Research Centre?
Use of search computers, microfilm and printed reference collection is permitted as a supplementary resource for those wishing to view original records. Appointments may be booked if you wish to view records which are available on microfilm. Staff will not be available to assist with using these supplementary resources.
- Can I use the digital camera in the Research Centre?
Yes, use of the digital camera will be permitted.
However, you are encouraged to bring your own camera or phone.
We encourage you to bring your own USB for downloading any digital images you capture. If you do not have a USB, they can be purchased in our Research Centre ($7.50) using contactless card payment.
- What if I would like a high quality digital copy of a record I view at the Research Centre?
Our digitisation service is still available and we can provide you with a high quality digital copy of a record at cost.
We will ask you to identify the pages you would like copied, and we will then send you a quote.
- What health and safety measures are in place to ensure customers remain safe?
• All customers will be asked screening questions when booking appointments and entering the Research Centre.
• Customers will be asked to wash their hands with soap and water on entry to the Research Centre. We are asking customers to wash their hands rather than use sanitiser to ensure original records are not adversely affected.
• Bathrooms will be well stocked with hand soap and paper towels, and instructions on how to wash hands properly will be provided.
• All hard surfaces in the Research Centre will be thoroughly cleaned between sessions.
• All researchers will be required to sit 1.5 metres from each other, as per government guidelines on social distancing.
Contact information from your State Records user registration and your appointment booking may be used for tracing purposes after your visit, should a COVID-19 case in the Research Centre be reported.
- What if I have a cough, fever, sore throat or other cold and flu symptoms on the day of my booking?
You will not be able to enter the Research Centre with any of these symptoms.
Please phone us to reschedule your booking to a later date. We can hold your pre-ordered records for up to 4 weeks.
- Will the public café be accessible?
Yes, water will be available during sessions. Please note that the public cafe will be inaccessible between outside of session times.
- Are lockers available?
Yes, lockers are available to use for your personal belongings.
- Will pencils and note paper be available to use?
You are encouraged to bring your own pencils and note paper, however we will provide them if needed.
Location and contact
Find us at 115 Cavan Rd, Gepps Cross, 5094.
Telephone 08 8343 6800.
Our Research Centre offers some assistance for people with a disability.
Getting to the Research Centre
Free parking is available at our Research Centre.
There are no buses that travel directly from the CBD to a stop near our Research Centre,
if you connect routes you can reach a bus stop within a few minute’s walking distance.
Catch any of the following buses from King William St and get off at stop 25, Main North Road, Gepps Cross.
From stop 25 either take a 20 minute walk to the State Records’ Research Centre or catch the 225 bus or the 255F bus and get off at stop 28, Port Wakefield Road (just outside Stratco).
State Records is around the corner on Cavan Road.
Bus 225 only runs every 30 minutes to an hour, so time your connection to suit.
To travel back to the CBD, reverse the process.