Do you need to visit us in person?
- While State Records does not provide a research service, we do offer a limited enquiry service for offsite researchers.
- A growing number of digitised records are available to view online.
- We can supply copies of records on receipt of specific references which may save a visit to the Research Centre.
- Many of the resources available in the Research Centre are available online and can be accessed from home or at a local library.
- If you require research assistance, fee-based research services are available.
Contact us before you visit
Write or call ahead to book an appointment and pre-order records. Original records must be ordered prior to your visit.
To identify the records you wish to view, have a look at:
- our catalogue ArchivesSearch - see our website guide on how to find records in the archive for assistance in searching ArchivesSearch
- indexes and finding aids on our website.
Once you have determined the records you wish to view during your appointment, note the specific reference (e.g. GRS 1334/1 Unit 38 File 3296 OR GRG1/42 Unit 1) and provide this to us so we can pre-order your records.
If you require further assistance to identify records for your visit please contact us.
When you arrive
- When you come to our Research Centre to view records, you will be registered with us if you are not already a registered user.
- We recommend keeping notes about the records you view, for future reference and for retracing your steps if necessary.
- You will need to follow the Research Centre Rules during your visit.