We do not offer a research service and do not view original records or conduct searches of our catalogue on behalf of a researcher.
You can contact us to ask for support with:
- Ordering of records for viewing in the Research Centre (bookings compulsory)
- Sourcing records relevant to Aboriginal family history, particularly regarding family separated because of past government policies
- Supplying copies of records on receipt of specific references
- Referrals to responsible agencies for access to restricted records using either access authorisations or freedom of information (FOI)
- Resetting passwords for ArchivesSearch
- Confirmation of the accuracy of archival references for citation purposes
- Advice on the copyright status of records in the collection.
Information about our records can be found:
- on our catalogue ArchivesSearch - see our website guide on how to find records in the archive for assistance in searching ArchivesSearch or online video tutorial showing how to search
- through finding aids on our website
- through a growing number of digitised records, and
- at our Research Centre (bookings compulsory).
Official records might not be archived until after 15 years or longer, and may be restricted from general public access for certain periods of time.
Records which have not yet been archived or are subject to public access restrictions, require involvement of the responsible agency.
Research Centre services
If you are not intending to view original records at the Research Centre contact us before booking an appointment to make the most efficient use of your time.
Many of the resources in the Research Centre are available online and can be accessed from home or at a local library.
Make sure to Plan Your Visit before booking an appointment at the Research Centre.
Staff in the Research Centre may not be able to assist researchers who do not have a prior booking.
Original records are not able to be accessed without a prior booking and order request.
Unable to visit the Research Centre to view original records?
If you or a friend can not visit the Research Centre, these fee-based research services are available:
- Genealogy SA - email
- Society of Australian Genealogists – email
- Professional Historians Association of South Australia
- A local library or local history group - to locate a library in South Australia see Locate a Library
Researchers for hire are not State Records' employees.