Land held by soldier settlers

Record of land held by soldier settlers 1917-1931

Below is a special list transcribed from the two volumes of the Record of land held by soldier settlers covering the post-World War One era. The volumes from which this list was created give name of settler, section and Hundred, area in acres, dates of allotment or settlement, docket number, amounts to be paid, valuation details, how held (ie. freehold etc.) and remarks.

Transcription of GRG35/320 - Record of land held by soldier settlers, 1917-1931 - A-Z (1.21mb)

Arranged by the first letter of the settler's surname, the volumes include the property held (hundred / section), and the first date of allotment or settlement. Volume 1 contains surnames beginning A-L, and Volume 2 surnames beginning M-Z. Land held by multiple individuals has been cross-referenced.

The volumes can be used to find other dockets and schedules relevant to the management of the settler's property. More information about the context of the Soldier Settlement scheme is available on a Fact Sheet, including an explanation of the types of records that might be available.

Steps to finding relevant land records

1. Use this list to find the Volume and Page number holding a specific settler's name.

2. View the Volume and Page images to locate the entry for the settler. Images can be viewed in the Research Centre or via our Online Records web page (under Land Records).

3. Make note of any 'SSS', 'L&S', 'DL', or 'AS' references in the columns, including the remarks column. Docket numbers recorded in the volumes refer to:

  • GRG35/104 (‘L&S’ or ‘DL’ files) – Correspondence files - Lands and Survey Department
  • GRG35/176 ('SSS' files) Correspondence files, annual single number series - Superintendent of Soldier Settlement
  • GRS/3507 (‘A.S.’ number) Registers of agreements relating to acquired land under Discharged Soldiers' Settlement Act

4. Either visit the Research Centre for assistance with ordering files, or seek a copy by making an enquiry via our Contact Us page once you have a file reference.

Back to the top