Enquiry Services

State Records of South Australia does not offer a research service. We can offer support with:

  • Sourcing records relevant to Aboriginal family history, particularly regarding family separated because of past government policies
  • Referrals to responsible agencies for access to restricted records using either Access Authorisation forms or FOI forms
  • Supplying copies of records on receipt of specific references
  • Resetting passwords for ArchivesSearch
  • Remote ordering of records for viewing in the research centre
  • Confirmation of the accuracy of archival references for citation purposes
  • Advice on the copyright status of records in the collection.

State Records holds records created by state and local government agencies. Information on these records can be found in the following places:

We are continually working to improve guidance about official records in our custody.

Official records might not be archived until after 15 years, or sometimes longer, and may be restricted from general public access for certain periods of time. Records which have not yet been archived, or are subject to public access restrictions, require involvement of the responsible agency. Further information and agency contact details can be found on our website: www.archives.sa.gov.au/content/access-official-records

 If you are unable to visit the research centre, you may engage a third party to undertake research on your behalf, on a fee basis. The following organisations may be able to assist:

We hope the above assists you with your research.

Back to the top